Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Freezer Cooking - Some vegetarian and gluten-free meals!

Wow - I didn't have to spend a lot of time preparing and cooking for today's cooking day. These meals took about 1 1.2 hours, including prep and clean up. Altogether there are 9 meals made today.

I do have to admit, I have been purchasing items on sale to stock up for this day. Tomorrow or Friday I want to make pumpkin muffins, pancakes and maybe another snack for the girls.


Prep work is important. My recipes called for diced onions, carrots, and peppers. They also called for garlic but I had a jar of roasted garlic (first time I haven't had to crush garlic).

Next I assemble the meals in an order. Since I was using recipes I have used before it was easier to create a plan of action.




Spaghetti sauce (3 meals' worth) and peppers and onions sauteing for the black bean soup.


I assemble the beef stew and bean stew in baggies and freeze. No need to cook. I did use the not chick'n broth for both.




Vegetarian and Gluten-Free Meals:
Bean Stew
Black Bean Soup (2 dinner's worth)
Spaghetti Sauce
shrimp - not prepared today - we boil and eat :)


Gluten Free Meals:

Bean Stew - served with salad
Beef Stew - served with salad
Black Bean Soup - served with jasmine rice and salad
Honey Chicken - served with roasted vegetables and brown rice
Soy Chicken - served with steamed mixed vegetables, brown rice and salad
Spaghetti Sauce (I will cook it with gluten free spaghetti - usually brown rice pasta) - served with salad

Snacks - Vegetarian:
Bean Burritos (I tried the whole wheat tortillas)- add cheese and salsa then roll them up and freeze. Kate reheats for a healthy snack.
Pizza dough and cheese - for the girls to make pizza on pizza night




I found a blank calendar online and will now post it on the fridge so I know what to take out of the fridge the night before.

All in all this is 9 meals plus a whole chicken, shrimp and ground beef (meatloaf made with oatmeal, spices, egg and worstershire). About two weeks worth of meals - Hallelujah. We also have a minestrone soup from last freezer day! Pin It

1 comment: